Wednesday, August 4, 2010

From CO and Sgt Major

****I have edited portions of the letters below for security reasons, but I am happy to share the edited content with those that are interested just shoot me an e-mail.***

Chris is with Lima Co.
From the Battalion Commander: 

Hello 3/7 Families:

Since the last letter I wrote, the battalion has been assigned a new area to conduct operations. The battalion’s new area is around ****.  Our mission remains the same: in partnership with Afghan Army forces, we provide security to the honest Afghan civilians who are trying to live a life without being strong-armed by insurgent forces.  The men have worked hard and have succeeded in moving equipment, vehicles, sustainment goods, and alike over a large distance to our new operating area. When fighting is required, your men have displayed the highest levels of bravery I have witnessed in combat.  Sergeant Major Black and I are proud to walk amongst the men in all the companies’ operating areas as they continue to display a high level of professionalism and proficiency.

Lima Company has been operating in another area for the past month and I am happy to report they will be moving and rejoining us in our new area in early August.  I continue to receive praise on the performance and professionalism of Lima Company by leaders of units they have worked alongside.  

I know the communication with home continues to be a challenge.  Most of your Marines and sailors are operating in an expeditionary manner and have been laser-focused on the mission.  I have the upmost confidence that spouses and parents understand this challenge and will be patient as we are working on acquiring more phones once the men get some rest and refit time.  I thank you all for your strength, your commitment, and for all that you do while your loved ones are deployed.      

Men in this battalion have given their lives for the freedom of our country.  I tell you with pride that the men of this battalion are more committed to the mission than ever and they continue to press on with resilience.  I have never been as honored in my life as I am to be associated with the warriors of this battalion.  Until they return, know that the Marines and sailors of 3/7 will continue to do great things here in Afghanistan.

Semper Fidelis,
LtCol Clay Tipton
 

From Sgt Major: 



Hello Friends and Family of 3/7,

Where to start? The battalion has been very busy this past month or so. We have moved to ****, another place that needs our attention, and have been involved in some significant operations that have spread us over a very large piece of the country. The Marines have performed superbly during this time and it is not surprising they are none the worse for wear.

For the folks back home, time should be ticking by pretty fast now. The next big goal for all of you is Labor Day weekend, the start of school and the end of summer. Before long, we will begin to see Marines being sent home on the advance party to prepare the battalion for its return and to send some of our great Marines to schools to prepare the battalion for the next training cycle.

It is during these last couple months, that I encourage everyone to take an interest in making preparations for our return. Lori has information that will help guide everyone through this time and I highly encourage everyone to take the time to read some literature or if possible to attend some classes on what to experience when we get home. For the families and wives that have not experienced a deployment before, there are some unique and humorous things that occur when Marines get home.  Something as simple as watching TV will appear to be the most amazing thing the Marines have ever seen. You may catch your Marine gazing for long periods of time at the tube with their mouth wide open and completely speechless. Try not to interfere or you may startle them and interrupt the moment. There is also some emotional transition as the Marines will be changing from seeing other Marines 24 hrs a day to seeing you. This is a welcome time and what we all look forward most to.

I have waited until now to begin to talk about the Marine Corps Birthday Ball. For many, this is a wonderful and fulfilling experience. The time to celebrate the birth of our Corps is one of the longest and most cherished traditions we have. It is a time to celebrate our history, our fighting spirit and our appreciation for the patriotic deeds and sacrifices of our Corps. This year the Ball will have a significant undertone as a Homecoming and a celebration for the sacrifices some of our Marines have made during this deployment. We have gone all out for the Ball this year by having it a Caesar’s Palace in Las Vegas.  We have also worked very hard at keeping the cost low and Cesar’s Palace has worked to make a truly memorable experience for all.  Lori and GySgt Smith will be putting out more information on the website pertaining to the Ball, but rest assured, the Marines are overwhelmed with excitement to attend this special evening with their loved ones and with their fellow warriors that they have endured a very challenging and arduous deployment with. I am sure that we will all have a wonderful time.

Lastly, I would like to remind everyone that although the days until we get home are getting shorter, there is work to be done both here and at home. We will be working very hard right up until the time we come home. Lt. Col Tipton and I are impressed everyday with the performance of these great young American’s. Their endurance and mission focus is unmatched. We ask that you continue to provide them with encouragement.

See you all soon.

SgtMaj Black

1 comment:

  1. I always loved getting these updates! Since Grayson never really gave me any details as to what they were doing or how they were doing, these were always great! Hope you're doing well! Let me know if you're coming to Auburn any this fall!!

    ReplyDelete